Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine
Job Opening - Student Services Specialist
The Student Services Specialist is responsible for providing support to both students and staff. The ideal candidate will have expertise and formal education/ training in traditional Western herbalism, experience with organic gardening and medicine making, and excellent written communication skills. This remote position participates daily in supporting students (answering questions, reviewing coursework, and pointing students to course & outside herbal resources) enrolled in the online courses of The Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine.
This position is for someone who enjoys working with a team and is comfortable receiving feedback and direction from other team members. You also thrive on working alone. You are self-motivated and creative, thinking up new ways to teach and break down complex subjects. You are patient, compassionate, and naturally helpful. Clear communication is extremely important to you, and you understand the nuances of conveying positive feedback in written communication.
This is a part-time, contract position, 10-20 hours per week Monday through Friday, with the possibility of more hours and employment in Spring 2020, depending on your skills and aptitude. Occasional weekend and evening hours are required during sales and launches several times per year. This is a remote position with required weekly check-ins, bi-weekly team meetings, and an annual in-person team retreat in Asheville, North Carolina. Ideally the person in this position is located within an hour of Asheville, NC, where the Chestnut School is headquartered. The person in this position must be located in the Western Hemisphere.
Although this position allows for other work outside this role, it must not compete with the work of the Chestnut School, or prevent you from fulfilling the responsibilities of this position.
To ensure that all aspects of this position are performed as expected, measurable metrics will be provided along with regularly scheduled performance reviews.
- Review all students’ coursework for the purpose of awarding certificates
- Answer student questions via email, student question forms, and in comments on online lessons
- Moderate student forums
- Provide students with technical support, with assistance from our tech team
- Answer questions on Facebook during sales and launches
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge of herbalism with the purpose of answering students’ inquiries accurately
- Participate in annual professional development on herbalism, diversity and inclusion, and compassionate communication
- Check blog daily and respond to blog comments ·
- Assist with potential student outreach by traveling and setting up tables for vending and book tour events (this would likely begin in 2021)
- Complete other student support related tasks as requested
This is not required, but the ability to perform these tasks would be a plus and could potentially lead to more work.
- Create quizzes, review sheets, and experiential projects using existing content
- Edit newsletters, articles, and other texts as requested
- Write blog articles
- Must be available to work a minimum of 2 hours per day between 9am and 5pm EST, Monday through Friday, with more hours (including evening and weekend hours) required during sales and launches several times per year
- Must be located in the Western Hemisphere
- Formal education/ training in traditional Western herbalism in a rigorous program (not self-taught)
- 5+ years experience in the field of herbalism
- Administrative experience
- Experience in educational environments optimal
- Extensive knowledge of herbal medicine, including medicine making, cultivation, materia medica, botanical terms, herbal safety, and general medical herbalism
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Versatility with learning new technical systems
- Positive and helpful attitude and ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to respectfully and compassionately communicate with people from all walks of life
- Experience with and understanding of the various pressures that marginalized groups experience and societal biases and discriminatory practices that lead to marginalization (all forms of ~isms, including racism, classism, sexism, and discrimination based on religion, sexual preference or gender identification)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Intermediate web/computer skills with a willingness to learn new systems and time-saving technology practices
- Given that this is a technology-based business, you must be familiar with Facebook, Dropbox, Google Docs, and willing to learn Asana, our project management software, and our learning management software
This is a part-time contract position with competitive hourly compensation dependent on experience.
Who We Are
The Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine is a woman-owned small business providing online education in the field of herbal medicine, gardening, permaculture, wild foods, and medicine making. We are a small team of passionate souls dedicated to changing the lives of our students and the community we serve. Through our educational materials, social media, charitable giving, and community partnerships, we champion social justice, women’s rights, and measures and practices that promote planetary health. Our nonprofit partners—in the field of food and medicine justice—award scholarships that we donate to people who work in underserved communities. We also offer need-based diversity scholarships directly through the school.
We practice clear and compassionate communication with each other and the public. Above all, we strive to produce high-quality educational material filled with beauty, inspiration, and clear instruction. The Chestnut School team runs a tight ship: we prefer to complete fewer projects to a high level of professionalism than completing a slew of mediocre projects. We are a high-touch company, prioritizing student support through technical and instructional assistance. Delivering a high-quality educational experience and over-delivering value set us apart from other online schools.
The Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
Please submit the following to email@example.com with subject line [Student Services Specialist Application]:
- Cover letter
- PDF of your resume, including relevant education
- Separately, please respond to the questions on this form.
Applications that do not include ALL of the above requirements will not be considered. All complete applications will receive a confirmation of receipt. Due to an expected high volume of applications, please understand that we may not be able to respond to every inquiry regarding the position. All applicants will be notified when the position has been filled and this listing will be removed.