Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine
Education Programming & Project Director
The Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine is looking for an experienced, responsible, organized, creative, and fun Educational Director to manage projects in an efficient and timely manner. This full-time position comes with excellent benefits and a highly competitive salary (commensurate with experience). Your work is primarily fulfilled from home but you will also travel to filming locations and meet with team members in Asheville, NC. Primarily you’ll work Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm, but sometimes weekend or evening work will be required. You’ll need to live within 30 minutes driving time of downtown Asheville and have a suitable dedicated home office space that is quiet with high-speed Internet. You’ll work intimately with our small team in a highly supportive and collaborative environment. You’ll be directly communicating with the school’s internal and external instructors and writers, so it’s imperative that you’re an active and transparent communicator with excellent problem-solving skills and a patient and compassionate demeanor.
You must have 5 years or more of experience leading and managing complex projects, and ideally some background in education, herbal medicine, digital marketing, and business administration. You’ll be directly overseeing the creation of online courses in the field of herbal medicine and organic herb cultivation. You’ll also be overseeing the creation of and ongoing content for a membership site focusing on business training for natural healers. You’ll coordinate directly with the school’s leadership team to create outlines for new programs, support current marketing efforts, and create new strategies. Projects involve working with our in-house and external copywriters, instructors, photographers, videographers, and graphic artist.
This position is for someone who thrives in a dynamic setting and enjoys a diverse set of projects and tasks that change daily. You’re ready to roll up your sleeves and do the work necessary to oversee the projects you are leading. If you don’t know how to complete a task, you research the best way to get it done and learn the necessary skills. You are often described as a “leader” and a “go-getter.” You thrive on distilling chaos into ordered systems — you love prioritizing tasks, creating timelines, setting goals, and developing methods that nurture productivity. You are comfortable making decisions and delegating tasks. You have experience leading, giving clear direction, and providing feedback to team members and colleagues. You are self-motivated, creative, and think up new ways of performing tasks and organizing projects to achieve set goals in effective and efficient ways. You work well with others, and can receive feedback and direction from team members, but you are happy to work independently and take ownership of projects and situations. In fact, you thrive in leadership positions and like to see a project through from start to finish.
To help ensure all aspects of this position are performed as expected, measurable metrics will be provided along with regularly scheduled performance reviews.
Who We Are
The Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine is a woman-owned small business providing online education in the field of herbal medicine, gardening, permaculture, wild foods, and medicine making. We are currently expanding into business training, specifically for natural healers. We are dedicated to changing the lives of our students and the communities we serve. Through our educational materials, social media, charitable giving, and community partnerships, we champion social justice, women’s rights, and measures and practices that promote planetary health. Our nonprofit partners in the field of food and medicine justice award scholarships that we donate to people who work in underserved communities. We also offer annual need-based diversity scholarships directly through the school. Our business trainings focus on heart-centered businesses as a tool for social change and personal growth. We aim to exemplify what we teach through our own business practices.
We practice clear and compassionate communication with each other and the public. Above all, we strive to produce high-quality educational material filled with beauty, inspiration, and clear instructions. The Chestnut School team runs a tight ship: we prefer to complete fewer projects to a high level of professionalism than completing a slew of mediocre projects. We are a high-touch company, prioritizing student support through technical and instructional assistance. Delivering a high-quality educational experience and over-delivering value set us apart from other online schools.
Project Management of Courses and Membership Sites
- Help develop course curriculum and lesson outlines with the school’s Director and other team members
- Schedule instructors for remote and in-person video shoots
- Onboard instructors and writers, including processing paperwork, and provide them with instructional outlines
- Review work of instructors and writers and give feedback as needed, including editing and fact-checking
- Schedule and coordinate writers for courses
- Work with graphic artists to oversee the production of memberships and course PDFs
- Work with editors and copywriters on course materials
- Research, cultivate, and communicate with potential guest writers and instructors
- Provide research and fact-checking assistance to Director for writing projects
- Set up and assist with photo shoots, modeling as requested (no experience necessary)
- Devise and maintain organizational systems for maintaining data and organizational systems related to project management, both physical and electronic
- Complete various additional activities to support Director’s productivity
- Communicate daily (M-F; 9 am to 5 pm) with team members, responding to emails within 24 hours
- Help with physically setting up and conducting video shoots
- Orient instructors and videographers, including processing paperwork and payments
- Prepare all physical materials and outlines for instructions before filming
- Coordinate food and drink needs for filming sessions
- Oversee rentals for filming
- Oversee remote filming by providing instructors with clear direction on sound and video quality
- Coordinate logistics with videographers on video shoots, including travel and payments
- Work with videographers on video editing, including captions, and reviewing videos for quality-control and content management
- Coordinate with Director, Integrator (Operations Manager), and Education Coordinator on course development tasks
- Coordinate with design team members on the design and branding of advertisements, web pages, and course/membership sites
- Work with our internal writers on course content, sales page, and social media copy for promotions of courses and our membership site
- Dependent on experience; highly competitive
- Generous benefits package including health care stipend, technology stipend, green 401-K plan, and 6 weeks paid time off annually
Qualifications and Personal Qualities
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5 years experience minimum in project management and project leadership
- Experience in the fields of education, herbal medicine, digital marketing, and business administration is preferred
- Excellent and clear communication skills — both verbal and written
- Compassionate and helpful nature; comfortable giving direction and feedback
- Friendly and helpful demeanor for communicating with students, contractors, and colleagues
- Able and willing to learn new skills or seek assistance to solve complex problems
- Comfortable working with a team, taking ownership of projects, and delegating responsibilities
- Flexible and able to adapt to unique situations
- Familiar with Microsoft Office, Dropbox, Asana, and Google Docs
- Strong sense of responsibility and ability to prioritize and complete multiple projects with minimal supervision
- Able to physically assist in filming by moving photography equipment and setting up filming locations on uneven terrain outdoors; must be able to lift and carry equipment and walk a couple miles on outdoor trails
- Extremely detail-oriented and highly organized
- Able to demonstrate discretion and handle highly confidential information
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multitask and prioritize work
- Able to pass a background check successfully
- Valid driver’s license with a clean driving record and/or access to reliable transportation
- Must live within 30 minutes to downtown Asheville, NC
- Available some evenings and weekends
- Must have a suitable dedicated, quiet home office space with reliable internet access
Please apply via the Indeed.com posting. Applications sent by email will NOT be accepted. All complete applications will receive a confirmation of receipt. We may not be able to respond to every inquiry regarding the position. All applicants will be notified when the position has been filled and this listing will be removed.